Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Futsal

Recently I've switched from playing indoor soccer to futsal and I've got to say that after the Apocalypse, I think futsal will be one of the sports still around. Indoor soccer requires a rink with plexiglass and barriers all around the edges. The local Portalnd Futsal center is just a converted warehouse with chain link fences surrounding the fields and heavy metal blasting over the speakers. Throw in a few flaming sconces at the corners and maybe make spiked shoulder pads a requirement and you've got something out of Thunderdome.

Spin the wheel raggedy man!
The good: Accurate passing is really important.  I feel like this is really going to improve my passing game.

The bad:  You end up using the bottom of your foot a lot more for moves. In a place like Portland where half of your outdoor games are going to be in mud and rain, the bottom of your foot is the most unreliable place to anchor any juke from. 

It's taken me a bit to adjust to.  The pace is faster, positioning is different, there's an actual out of bounds, and they count fouls kind of like how they do in basketball, giving a pk for teams after the foul count goes over 5.  

In fact, I finally started to get the hang of futsal when I realized it is not really soccer. It's basketball you play with your feet.  Just watch the movement on the following video and it's easy to see.


Outdoor soccer starts this weekend and H and I are eager to see if playing futsal will help my skills this season!  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment