Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Silence of the Cars

(Here's a recent conversation I had with Car2Go.)

Tech:  Car2Go services and support. How can I help you today?

Me:  Yeah, I'm in one of the new Car2Go cars. I checked it out but it won't start.

Tech:  So it won't turn on?

Me:  Well it turns on, but it won't turn over. It's one of the new electric ones and not the gas ones. Is there a button I have to push or something?

Tech: Oh! That's a really easy problem to solve. So can you put it in drive?
Wuzzat gizmo?

Me: Uh... sure.

Tech: Okay, now drive it.

Me:  ...But... the engine doesn't turn over when I turn the key...

Tech:  Actually just put your foot on the gas pedal.

Me: ... HOLY CRAP IT'S MOVING!

Tech: Yeah. We've been getting this a lot lately. The electric ones are silent so people don't know that they can just drive it once they turn it on.

Me:  Wow, the future is really something! Okay, I'm taking this stealth car to work. Thanks!

Tech: (Laughing) No problem. Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment